Safe Work SA
Health and wellbeing: www.safework.sa.gov.au
Mental Health First Aid
Mental health first aid is the help provided to a person who is developing a mental health problem, experiencing a worsening of an existing mental health problem or in a mental health crisis. The first aid is given until appropriate professional help is received or the crisis resolves.
Evidence-based MHFA courses teach mental health first aid strategies to members of the public and instructor training courses train and accredit suitable individuals to deliver the MHFA courses to communities and workplaces across Australia.
Public Courses: https://mhfa.com.au/courses/public
Healthy Worker Initiatives
There are many useful resources available to help promote and implement health and wellbeing programs at work.
- Healthy Workers – Healthy Futures (SA Health)
The Healthy Workers – Healthy Futures initiative is funded and managed by SA Health. It encourages all workplaces to create environments that support people to:
– be active
– eat healthier foods
– go smoke free
– drink alcohol responsibly.Peak industry bodies representing male-dominated industries are supported to lead the change agenda and help businesses create an environment and culture that promotes healthy lifestyle behaviours.Visit the Healthy Workers website to find out if your industry has an adviser and to access free workplace resources, including their step by step guide to developing a successful workplace program.
- Get Healthy, a free, confidential information and telephone-based coaching service, to help you with healthy eating, being physically active and achieving and maintaining a healthy weight. No referral is necessary, simply register by calling 1300 806 258. (SA Health)
- Healthy Workers includes calculators to determine the impact your workplace health and wellbeing initiatives are having on the business. (Australian Government, Department of Health)
- Healthy workplaces: a model for action – for employers, workers, policy-makers and practitioners. (World Health Organization)
- Sick at Work: The cost of presenteeism to your business and the economy. Presenteeism is about lost productivity when workers come to work but, because of illness or other medical conditions, are not fully productive. (medibank research)
What is Heads Up?
Mentally healthy workplaces work better for everyone, and Heads Up is all about giving individuals and businesses free tools and resources to take action.
Develop an action plan to create a mentally healthy workplace, find out about taking care of your own mental health, and get tips on having a conversation with someone you’re concerned about.
After all, promoting mental health in the workplace is everyone’s responsibility. However small you decide to start, take the first step towards a more mentally healthy workplace today.
Joining Heads Up means we can keep in touch with you and support you on your journey. We’ll also keep you up to date with newly launched resources and share tips to make you and your workplace more mentally healthy.
South Australia’s Mental Health and Wellbeing
- Download South Australia’s Mental Health and Wellbeing policy.
- A workplace health and wellbeing toolkit: Step by step guide to developing a successful workplace program.
Workplace Mental Health Information
- Workplace Mental Health and Wellbeing Programs [PDF 218kb]
- State of Workplace Mental Health in Australia [PDF 733kb]
- Creating a Mentally Healthy Workplace: Return on Investment Analysis [PDF 1mb]
- Promoting Positive Mental Health in the Workplace: Guidelines for Organisations [PDF 4mb]
- Mental Health and the Workplace: Institute of Public Administration Australia [PDF 3mb]
- Heads Up Initiative: Employer of Choice Study [PDF 753kb]
- Creating Mentally Healthy Workplaces: A Review of the Research [PDF 2mb]