SA Mental Health Commission Community Advisory Committee & Youth Advisory Group
The Community Advisory Committee (CAC) and the Youth Advisory Group (YAG) provide advice to the Commission on its work. CAC and YAG members have a range of experiences, including lived experience and expertise, education, forensics, drug and alcohol, veterans and disability across the community and government, non-government and private sectors.
The Community Advisory Committee and the Youth Advisory Group play an important role in ensuring broad community representation from people with a passion for mental health and wellbeing.
The SA Mental Health Strategic Plan 2017-2022 takes a whole-of-life, whole-of-community and whole-of-government approach to building, sustaining and strengthening the mental health and wellbeing of South Australians.
The Commission ensures that, central to all its work, is the lived experience of people with mental illness; their families, carers and supporters.
SAMHC Community Advisory Committee members
- Andris Banders, TAFE Lecturer; Former CEO of the SA Network of Drug and Alcohol Services (SANDAS)
- Mark Reidy, Army veteran and Program Coordinator of RSL Active
- Wayne Bickley, Secondary school teacher; Coordinator, Children & Young People SAMHC
- Angela Cordon, Founding Member of Mentally Fit EP (Eyre Peninsula) & former carer consultant with Country Health SA Mental Health
- Trina Cummins, Director of Wellbeing at an independent school
- Azmiri Mian, Social Work educator, private practitioner and trainer; Committee Member for the Australian Association of Social Workers (AASW) – SA Branch; Board member of Advocacy for Disability Access and Inclusion
- Heather Nowak, Consumer representative at state and national levels
- Shane O’Neil, Former Mental Health nurse, former teacher, worked with perpetrators of domestic violence, former Lifeline listener at Yatala and Mt Gambier prisons.
- Enaam Oudih, Manager of PEACE Multicultural Services at Relationships Australia.
- Wendy Scott, Mental Health & General and mental health nurse, working clinically while researching in the area of therapies for people who hear voices; social enterprise developer in Australia & Nepal.
- Rebecca Wheatley, General Practitioner with experience working in the alcohol & other drugs sector, palliative care and currently working in Older Persons’ Mental Health.
SAMHC Youth Advisory Group members
- Faith Fabio
- Maria Blackmore
- Zack Boulton
- Jemimah Clifford
- Gabby Huser
- Samantha Lai
- Tallulah Lochert
- Cosette Lymm
- Marshall Malpass
- Adan Richards
- Caleb Sweeting